Saturday, July 9, 2011

City Nights-A Poem

This is my entry for Inspiration Avenue's weekly challenge-Poems. I did not have time to paint this week so here is one of my poems.

CITY NIGHTS

I stand upon this heather-covered hill
overlooking the city strip snaking below
lit up in electric glory
ablaze with taillights and neon signs
headlights and storefronts,
the surrounding hills dotted with
the warm glowing windows of homes.
A warm Summer breeze touches me
heavy with the scents from below
Chinese, Mexican, and burgers frying
gas fumes and asphalt mixes with
the sweet smell of the heather
the song of a city night
horns and thumping bass
faintly reaches me here on this hill.

5 comments:

artangel said...

I didn't know you wrote poetry - this is wonderful, I love how you've used all the senses to convey an atmostphere. Post more! x

Priti Lisa said...

You've got talent, Kelly, for sure. Keep writing and posting!
♥♥♥

PetraB said...

Your words make you really feel .. great poetry. More, please!

Victoria said...

Fabulous!! Gorgeous poem..,my senses are heightened..with all this imagery and visual energy!
Fantatsic!!
Victoria

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The words to your poem are both gritty and real. They make you believe you are in the city. Very mesmerizing.