Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sunbeam mini dessert maker and me

So, I used my mini donut maker today for the first time. I have had it for two years. I was a gift I got at a Christmas get together with my family. I lost the instructions. They are some where in this house. But I looked up some online as well as YouTube videos of others using them. I didn't want to mix up a batter so I used boxed cake mix. Using one recipe I found online I tried it out with a birthday confetti cake mix. (And yeah, I did not use just the whites. Not wasting eggs like that.) The online instructions say to use oil on the maker. I just sprayed it with cooking spray. It worked just fine. Per instructions I threw away the first two batches, but the next batch was ok. A little spongy for me. They were brown on the bottoms, but not on top. After two batches I got the idea to open the maker and turn the donuts over and let bake a little more. That helped, but I think I will use a different recipe next. Maybe won't be so spongy.
NOTE-the maker gets very HOT! Do not let child operate this appliance. Use oven mitts yourself.
I used a freezer bag with the tip cut off to put batter into the maker, but next time I think I will use a real piping bag. I am a very messy cook/baker. I don't see how these Suzy Homemakers can cook or bake without making a mess. I can't boil water without making a mess.
NOTE-You cannot put batter into this thing and walk away. You have to stay with it. They can burn rather quickly. And there is no off button, so I unplugged it every time I needed to refill it.  That got annoying.
I got seven batches out of this to freeze for later use before I got bored and put the rest of the batter into the oven.
This dessert maker is okay to use for fun maybe as a family thing, but I think I like the donut oven pans better.

No comments: