Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Rest Of The Story

In Paul Harvey's words, "Now, for the rest of the story..."
As I said I almost made it home.
There is a very sharp curve at the bottom of a hill just as one turns onto my road. I made it around the curve but as I started up the hill I could not get up it. I was stuck. The man that lived on that curve came out and tried to help me out, but finally we just had to move the car to the side of the road. He had a jeep and said he had just come back from getting his mother-in-law and the road was ok onward. Then he went back into his house without an offer to take me home or allow me to go in and call someone. To this day I still snarl as I pass his house. The world is full of butts. It wasn't even a mile to my home and I was sure I could make it. So I started to walk.
That was an eerie experience.
The world was silent, except for the cruch of snow as I walked and my breathing. Every once in a while a branch would snap under the weight of the snow, sounding like a large animal passing in the woods. After a while I began to wonder if it was an animal. I have seen bears out there. Then there was the electric transformers blowing out with great displays of sparks and loud humming suddenly silenced. With the electricity going out you would think it was getting dark being it was after ten pm. It was not. The clouds overhead had a strange pick glow to them that gave off enough light to see by. It looked as if I were walking through an alien world.
I was beginning to worry about the electricity being down. This was my second winter in my new home and I had just gotten two kittens and was worried they would be freezing. I also was concerned for my elderly parents who lived near me being without heat. My sister also lived nearby and had three young boys. How were they doing? Did my co-workers and friends make it home? I worried about everyone except myself. I would make it. I always came out ok. That is the way I am. I should of been paying more attention to myself. After an hour of walking I was no longer cold and feeling pretty good. Can we say hyperthermia? I was proberly on my way to freezing to death there just within shouting distance of my house.

No comments: