Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Story?

It's was dinnertime and a storm was rolling in. Ugly, dark clouds were slowly getting closer, rising over the top of the mini mall, a looming beast threatening to break. The humidity was unbearable and I didn't really think the storm would cool it off any. Proberly make the heat and humidity worse. That's a southern summer afternoon for you.
I was sitting in my car, all the windows down, hoping for a breeze, in the parking lot of the mall. I could faintly smell the honeysuckles climbing the hill behind me over the smells of gas fumes, hot asphalt, chinese food and burgers from the restraughts on the strip. The noise from the main street was a loud rumble over powering my radio which was blasting out some screaming heavy metal lyrics. Pulling my shirt away from my neck I watched a young black woman leave Krogers, buggy full of plastic bags and little children, while two more older kids pulled at her shirt. She looked harried. Poor girl. She reached a battered Nissan and, with much pulling, chasing, and yelling, finally got the bags and kids in. I glanced at the entrance as she pulled out.
Where the hell was he anyway? I was getting tired of waiting. I began to fan myself with the manila envelope that arrived in the mail that morning. The envelope with no return address.
A large drop of water landed on my windshield. Then the storm hit with all its fury.

No comments: