Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Top 5 Inspirations

Inspiration Avenue has thrown a Blog Party in which everyone participating is to list our five creative inspirations. So without further ado here is mine


My #1 inspiration is the female mystique. What makes us women, what moves us, grooves us, challenges us, delights us, saddens us, our relationships with our mothers, daughters, and sisters, and forms our perception of our unique worlds.















My # 2 inspiration is music. While I am working I like to boogie my booty. You could say that when I create it is more like a performance art. Latino and hip hop works best. Yes, my bio says I am a hard rocker, but rock really does not lend itself well to creative dance thinking. Since I like to dance why should I not dance while working. Click here for one my favorite working songs. Be sure to turn off playlist on bottom first. Or listen to it first.









Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones







My #3 inspiration is scent. Yes, I said scent. Patchouli for one can send me back to my college art study days, rose to my grandmother and her crochet, honeysuckle to quiet summer nights which are good for just sketching and writing.


10% Jasmine
10% bergamot
5% patchouli-because it is very strong
5% distilled water
70% vodka-no, don’t drink it (well, maybe a glass won’t hurt)
A glass perfume bottle



Depending on how strong you want the perfume, you can let the mixture stand for as little as 48 hours all the way to a month. The longer it stands, the stronger it will be. After your perfume has sat for your preferred time, add 2 tablespoons of the diluted water. If the perfume is too strong for you, you can add more water to get your desired scent strength. To make your scent last longer, add a tablespoon of glycerin to your perfume mixture.


My #4 inspiration is Bling! I can’t help it. I must be part gypsy. I love metallic paint, and glitter paint, and iridescent paint, and interference paint, and gold ink, and copper ink, and bronze ink, and beads, and jewels, etc.

Free MySpace Layouts


My #5 inspiration is my own personal symbols, dreams, nightmares, fears, poems, writings, and childhood memories.



SUMMER DAY

wings aglitter in the late sunlight
a dragonfly hovers over the pond
a breeze whispers through the willows
emerald green water ripples softly
cicadas sound out their mating calls
sweet honeysuckles overtake a broken swing
ghostly laughter barely heard
in the fading summer light

19 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

wow kelly!! this is an absolutely unique list of inspirations! and i LOVE it!! YAY! to "boogie my booty" :D love the delightful little poem at the end ... you are one of few ppl i know that has been blessed with acute senses ... i can see it in all that inspires you! thank you for partying with us!! hope to see you again soon :))
peace and hugs,
luthien :))

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

Thanks, luthien. I had fun doing.

LuLu Kellogg said...

Hi Kelly!

I just love your Blog and seeing your kitties! They are so beautiful. I just love animals.
I am with you on the bling, the more the better :)

LuLu~*

Catherine said...

I love music aswell and it can definitely affect where your creative ideas turn. You made me laugh at 'boogie my bootie' too!

Scent is so nostalgic and can bring to the fore so many long forgotten memories. Your poem was beautiful too!

Anonymous said...

i think scent is one of the most powerful memory paths. you have such good memories to go with those scents!

WrightStuff said...

Yes, it is amazing how your sense of smell has the best memory. Sometimes just the faintest whiff of something has the memories flooding back. It's fun reading all these inspirational posts!

Bunnym said...

You wanna talk about women mystique...check out my blog and read the entry about being a women.
What intrigued me about your blog was the title. It just grabbed me and said "come on in and sit a while"...and I did and glad I did too. Music runs through my veins and enters into every part of my being. So glad to have visited with you and hope to talk at ya again...lol

tootles,
bunny

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly this was fabulous and I loved hearing all about what inspires you! Thank you so much for including the fabulous perfume recipe too!! What a find and now our party smells as wonderful as it looks!
All the best ~ Sharon

Inspiration Avenue said...

Just stopping by to leave a comment from all of us and to thank you for joining in the fun today!
♥Sharon & the Girls of Inspiration Avenue

artangel said...

Kelly I found your inspirations very interesting - particularly "female mystique". I also like that you have a combination of senses that inspire you - I also love scents but have never thought of them as an inspiration - made me think of them in a different way! Your poem is beautiful too - very atmostpheric.

Priti Lisa said...

Hey Kelly,
your post was so wordy and revealing, I feel I know you better. Are those sweeties your daughters or sisters?
Peace and party on :)

Michele Lynch Art said...

Wooo hooo on the bling! a women of my own heart! Great inspirations!

Meri Greenleaf said...

I'm going to agree with everyone on the comment about your scent inspiration- scent is an amazing sense for things like that. :)

And I love your bling inspiration- I just love shiny things and glitter, too! :)

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

Thanks all for the nice comments! The pic is me (the short one on the left, my tall sister, and her youngest daughter.).

The Gossamer Tearoom said...

Kelly,
Sorry I'm a day late leaving a comment for you!

Thank you for coming to the party and sharing your list! I love your perfume recipe and poem! Very cool!
I am fascinated by how perfumes are made. There is an interesting site called "The Scented Salamander" I have used in research before. You might find it interesting!

Have a wonderful day!

Betty

SharDon Exclusives said...

Congratulations for winning the Inspiration Avenue prize! I am so glad for you...

Inspiration Avenue said...

Hi Kelly, I'm stopping by to let you know you've won our grand prize collection so please stop by our blog to contact us so we can ship these goodies to you AND Congratulations!!!
♥Sharon & the Inspiration Avenue girls

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

wow! Great! Thank you ladies! I had alot of fun at the party.

Kim Palmer said...

It's always wonderful to learn about what inspires others and this is no exception Kelly. Like you music and scent are strong motivators and inspirers for me too!