Sunday, November 30, 2008

Worker Killed at wal-Mart on Black Friday

Friday Morning, the day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday we call it. When millions get up in the middle of the night so as to be at the stores when they open early in search of a great bargain. A day that all retail workers dread. But for most part many see as a fun challenge or a serious hunt.
I’m sure that the 34 year old man at the Long Island Wal-Mart wasn’t looking forward to the day, but I also bet he did not think it would be his last day of life. He was trampled to death by the stampeding herd of shoppers as he opened the doors that morning.
Yes, I said stampeding herd, as in cattle. Glassy-eyed, mooing, follow the rest of the herd cattle.
People, nothing is worth a human life. Certainly not some “bargain”. The Holidays are a time for fun. Now, this time of the year is forever ruined for this man’s family. I hope that the authorities are able to identify some of those that trampled him from the store video. And those that came behind and failed to stop and help him, shame on them. Even if none is prosecuted it is my hope that these people are haunted by this act for the rest of their lives. A reckoning will come eventually and what is the saying-usually three times worse.
I made the mistake of going out on Black Friday some years ago. Not early, mind you, later on in the day. I don’t get up early for anything except work. I was witness that day to a fist fight between two “grown” women over a sweater of all things. I could only shake my head at such childishness.
So, friends, while you are out shopping be considerate of others, show some sense and kindness, and remember that not everyone else is. Just smile at others’ rudeness, don’t get hot and angry. Your Holidays will be less stressful and much more happy.
I’m done venting now.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Solstice.

No comments: