Saturday, September 4, 2010

Inspiration Avenue-Something Found


This week the theme at Inspiration Avenue was to use something found. I have been at my "day job" for way too many hours this week so did not have a chance to look for something this week so I used something I found a long time ago. A rattlesnake tail. I made a Native American inspired necklace out of it. I really wanted a real choker but my neck is too small and the choker would not look good. I know because I tried. I love Southwest and Native American jewelry.


I did use carnelian beads and bone beads I bought to make the necklace. It usually hangs in my bathroom because I don't wear it much. The guys at work have tried to talk me out of it. The cats don't like me to wear it either. They hiss and carry on when they hear it rattle. Must be a species memory thing because they have never seen a rattlesnake.


In Native American lore the rattlesnake is considered a messenger from the spirits as well as a protector and teacher. Maybe the rattlesnake is one of my totems and I was meant to find this tail.

8 comments:

Priti Lisa said...

Hi Kelley!
This is amazing...I like the totem theory. Fascinating about the Native American lore...
Good job Girlfriend!
I wish I could help you move...decorating was my first true love :)
Exciting getting a new place, I'll want pictures.
X0X

artangel said...

Wow that's amazing Kelly, I'd never have guessed what that was, it looks just like beads! How interesting knowing the meaning behind it, and that your cats don't like it!

CMZ Art/ Rustic Goth said...

What an interesting necklace. It's always nice to hear about the 'meaning' behind a particularly unusual piece.

Luthien Thye said...

oh man!! that's awesome!! a rattlesnake tail! i LOVE it!!!

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

Thanks, ladies!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

very interesting piece-living in Arizona I am surrounded by Southwest fare. This would fit in nicely...

Umā said...

That is AWESOME! I've never seen anything like it and would have had no idea what it was - I thought they were just beautiful beads.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is so unusual and beautiful. Making jewelry from a snake's rattle certainly qualifies as a super found object. I can see why everyone wants it (cats not withstanding).