Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflecting On The Past Decade

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am so glad to be saying good-bye to this last year. In fact, I am glad the whole decade is over. It has been a decade that so totally needs a do-over.

Starting on September 2, my siblings , my mom, and I had to make the difficult decision to allow my stepfather to pass. It hurt. As I was the one to take care of him that last year of his life it was particularly hard. Then throughout the whole decade I lost an aunt, a cousin, a best friend, four uncles, and finally, my mother.
In 2002 the warehouse that I had worked at for the past 10 years shut down. So began my time of jumping from temp job to temp job until March 2008 when I landed the job I have now.
Also in 2002 I lost my good health. At least, I thought I had good health. In February of that year I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. So began my battle to stay off insulin. I also began to have problems with pain in my back, hips, and legs. Then began problems with bleeding all the time. That finally came to a head when I went to the ER because I was weak and my heart was racing. There I was told that I had less than half the normal amount of blood needed to be at peak and was dying. Ok, time for an emergency surgery. Lost my temp job because of that.
And because I could not find a long term job I lost my house and new car. Then I had to declare bankruptcy, so lost my good credit.

I also gave up on dreams that I had held dear.

THE GOOD NEWS
In the last decade I discovered the blogsphere, mixed media art, many cool art magazines, new friends-both near and online, and Starbucks.

And I have discovered new dreams.

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY THE NEW ONE BRING YOU MANY BLESSINGS!

2 comments:

Quill and Greyson said...

New dreams are good, but sorry for the bad decade! Here's to a better decade to come.

Kim Palmer said...

I think I'd be glad to kick that decade away as fast as possible too! So much stuff you have had to go through Kel. Here's to a better everything, life, job, friendships, time for you, the lot! I think you have well and truly deserved that. Hugs and here's to a fabulous new year full of wonder, inspiration and creativity, new dreams and new beginnings in all sections of life!