Thursday, May 21, 2009

How To Cure The Blahs

I have been feeling kind of blah lately. Fatigued, tired, drained, apathic, stressed, bored, depressed. This is so not me. I have always been a happy person. I thought that maybe it was just the winter blues and the return of warm weather and sun would take care of it.

Well, they didn’t.

So I went on a search for a cure for feeling this way (chocolate can only heal so much and Starbucks treatments can get expensive.). I found some interesting facts. There is a chemical called Serotonin that the body needs to maintain feelings of well-being. As well as Dopamine. I asked my mom’s doc about them when I took her for a visit. I was told that they cannot be found naturally so there is no supplement to take for them. The only way to get that feeling was with anti-depressants. So not for me. So I went to the Natural Foods Market (http://www.NFMonline.com) and asked one of their associates. He confirmed what the doc said.

Not to be discouraged I asked for his advice. He recommended 100mg of Rhodiola Rosea once a day to start and increase to two or more a day if I feel the need.

Rhodiola Rosea is found in the high cooler climates such as the Rockies, the Alps and the Carpathian Mountains (I just love saying Carpathian). It can help with mental alertness, memory, and a general state of well-being. Side effects are virtually nil unless it is taken in large doses.







Serotonin deficiency

Anxiety or excessive worry
Panic, fear and phobias
Pessimism
A tense state of mind accompanied by irritation and impatience
Obsession
Suicidal tendency
Repetitive thoughts
Low self esteem
Emotional behaviors like anger and aggression
Insomnia or light sleep
Craving for sugar
Post menstrual syndrome
Chronic pain
Abhorrence of dark weather


Dopamine deficiency

Reduced ability to feel pleasure
Flat, bored, apathetic and low enthusiasm
Depressed
Low drive and motivation
Difficulty getting through a task even when interesting
Procrastinator/little urgency
Difficulty paying attention and concentrating
Slowed thinking and/or slow to learn new ideas
Crave uppers (e.g. caffeine/nicotine/diet soft drinks)
Use these to improve energy/motivation/mood
Prone to addictions (e.g. alcohol)/addictive personality
Shy/introvert
Low libido or impotence
Mentally fatigued easily and physically fatigued easily
Sleep too much and trouble getting out of bed
Put on weight easily
Family history of alcoholism/ADD/ADHD


I feel like I have a little of both sets going on and I hope this herb will help me. I just started them, so we'll see.

1 comment:

notmassproduced said...

Hi - came here via Seth's blog and this is sooo weird. I clicked on ur blog because there was something about ur face that made me wonder if u had a thyroid problem like me. Then I came across this. I'd love to know how u get on with this natural remedy as I have been struggling with my thyroid symptoms for years. Anyway - I don't normally blog about this - i just relate to this post! I love ur artwork by the way - more please!