Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom


You never know what you have until it's gone. How true is that. Today is my mom's birthday. She would of been 65. I lost her last year on October 3rd. I had been her caretaker since 2000. The year before that I was my step dad's.

Mom was severely diabetic-type 1, and as such had many problems due to that disease. She was wheelchair bound having lost her lower left leg and, because so much of her right foot had to be removed, was unable to keep her balance enough even with a prosthetic. She was also legally blind-her left eye dead and her right had cataracts.
She was also on dialysis-going three days a week to sit for four hours a day to be cleansed and have liquid removed. Her kidneys no longer worked at all. Which caused her blood pressure to stay low all the time. Not good. Add to that Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but I believe that was caused by all the stress she was under. My mom was not a healthy woman.
Everyone who knew my mom said she was a happy woman, always smiling and teasing with you. She did put up a good front for people. But they did not hear her in the night, weeping to herself and praying for relief, begging God for just one day of health.

My mom was deeply religious, but due to her health she was unable to attend Church, so she watched it on TV. Of course, she had a time wading through all the TV preachers to find the real ones as opposed to the nuts.

I'm pretty confidant of where my mom is today and I will see her again.

They say it takes a year to properly mourn. Ha! I will never stop mourning the loss of my parents. But I can...and am moving on. Time to get over the depression and rejoin life.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I love and miss you.

4 comments:

Umā said...

It's coming up on a year since my mom died as well (next month) and I agree with you, I don't think you ever stop mourning the loss of your parents, you just learn to live with it as gracefully as possible.

Priti Lisa said...

Hi Kelly,
When did you snap that picture? On your way to dialysis, prolly. Seems like a funny time to take a photo, but how lucky that you did.
I am happy to hear you say you are moving on, but I could tell from your comments that you were getting stronger. I am so glad!
This was a beautiful tribute to your mother, she is smiling on you now, right?
X0X

Quill and Greyson said...

Life is waiting, please enjoy!!

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

Thanks, ladies! Lisa, I shot that picture outside the bus station on the day we saw my nephew off to service right before he went to Iraq.