Thursday, September 11, 2008

On Being A Writer (and, oh, don't we all dream of being writers)

It started when I was a teen. I wanted to be a writer. I dreamed of it, the signings, the fans breathlessly awaiting my next book, the fame and fortune. Yet here I am, still wanting to be a writer. I have the characters, titles, and quite a bit of the writing done. But still no book. I find it hard to come up with a whole 80,000-100,000 words novels. I just can't come up with that much material. And forget short stories. When I start writing, I can get pass the word limit for a story and keep going. So what's a girl to do?

I was thinking about just finishing the books as novallas, and use createspace.com to publish them on my own, then sell them on my own website, myspace, blogspot, etc. I could advertise them as quickie reads. I like quickies myself, something to read at one sitting. If I publish one every four months that'll be three a year, or four a year if I publish every three months. I'd love to use the same characters in the books to support the background of the hero/heroine of the story.

If anyone reads this post and has any ideas, thoughts, or just general comments, please feel free to post them. I would love to hear from all of you.

No comments: